Am I Going to Heaven?
How Can I Know For Sure I Am Going to Heaven?
You must realize first that everyone is less perfect than a holy God. We are all sinners and unable to save ourselves.
- For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23
- God says that even our good deeds are unclean in his sight. Our good deeds can never pay the price for our sin.
- But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6
The result and penalty of sin is death, which means separation from God forever.
- For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
- Because we have sinned, we all deserve to be separated from God forever. God hates sin because it separates us from Him but He loves us, the sinner.
- Heaven is a perfect place; therefore no sin can enter there. Man must be perfect to gain entrance.
- And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life. Rev. 21:27
Nothing man can do could help obtain the perfection God requires for Heaven.
- For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephes. 2:8-9
- Salvation is only by God’s grace. Grace means unmerited favor or undeserved mercy. A gift is not earned or paid for or it would not be a gift.
- But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Romans 4:5
Christ made a complete payment for all sin and offers His righteousness to us.
- For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Cor. 5:21
- We have seen that we are all sinners and that the penalty of sin is eternal separation from God. We have also seen that God loves us and offers us the gift of eternal life. He requires only our belief, our trust in that payment.
- How could a holy God give eternal life to sinners? Only through His Son who died on the cross to make a full payment for all sin.
If you put your trust in Jesus Christ, God gives you eternal life! Jesus shed His blood on the cross and rose again. His death paid the complete penalty for your sin, and His resurrection shows God accepted that payment. This is good news.
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
- This verse does not say anything about promising God good works in order to be saved. It doesn’t mention joining a church or being baptized or even quitting all your sinning. The word believe means to trust, depend, or rely upon.
- Will you place your trust in Jesus Christ to save your soul? To trust Him means to rely totally on Him, not on your own good works. Will you do this right now?
If you have trusted Jesus Christ as your Savior, then you can know you have eternal life. God has promised this in His Word. We have complete assurance of eternal life.
- These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:13
- And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. John 10:28
- Eternal life is guaranteed by God: “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;” Titus 1:2