Why did Christ choose fishermen? There is more to it than the weak things of this world confounding the wise. When considered in detail, fishermen make an amazing picture of evangelism.
- Fishermen are patient, just as we must be while soul winning. Some fish are harder to reel in than others!
- Sometimes they spend hours catching nothing. Likewise, the believer often fishes for souls for long periods of time and leaves having only baited the hook.
- Those who fish for a living are courageous. Believers need much courage when witnessing and need to be willing to step out of their comfort zone.
- Fishermen are busy and are faithful-rain or shine. We as Christians must live dedicated lives in order to win the lost.
- Alert and skillful, they are always ready to set the hook just as we should be ready with an answer for those we are trying to win.
- Those who fish for a living pack their bags and go fishing, leaving everything but their fishing gear behind. In order to catch other fish, we too must be willing to forsake all and follow.
When we choose to follow the Lord there are many uncomfortable things we are asked to do, but in the end each one will be worth it. We must keep in mind that nothing should supersede God’s call in our lives, not even family.
I don’t know your life situation, but I can tell you this. Don’t say no to what God is calling you to do. If you refuse his call, you will have a miserable life. His call is for you to influence people. You catch something lifeless-lost in sin-and Christ makes it alive when you fish for the souls of men. Don’t wait. Choose to follow the fisherman’s call right now.
Devotional by Pastor Jim Scudder, Jr.